The term “Lockout Tagout” refers specifically to procedures used to ensure that equipment is shut...
Safety tips on marine chandlers in Nigeria
Who is a Ship Chandler?
A ship chandler is a person (or sometimes a group/agency) that totally deals in supplying required commodities for a shipping vessel and its crew. A ship chandler supplies all the necessary and requisite commodities like provisions, disposables and sometimes can be extended to supplying maintenance parts of the vessel, that is engine parts and other essential items. The quality of what is supplied to them is very important and that is why when a chandler is able to come on board, it is very important that he maintains a high level of hygiene and timeliness of delivery on board.
The work of a ship chandler is exceptional on the grounds that it provides explicitly to just one line of business, consequently, permitting a total exclusivity to both parties– the merchant just as the customer. By approaching toward a ship chandler straightforwardly, it so happens that a boat's group can stay away from the mediators with regards to a deal and along these lines set aside a great deal of cash which could be utilized in other useful regions. Ship chandlers have been a part of the shipping industry for a long time. They are responsible for completely ensuring the delivery of supplies required by a ship that is about to sail. One can say that it is an integral service for marine matters.
Advantages of a ship chandler
1. Assurance of Quality
Ship chandlers always provide their clients with quality goods and hence, their products can be trusted.
2. Direct Contact
As the order is placed in advance with a ship chandler, there is hardly any possibility of delay in the process. The ship captain or concerned authorities are also in direct contact with the chandler. This reduces the time delay of any sort.
3. Economical Transactions
Ship chandlers should know about the current market rates and charge the boats as needs are. They typically charge a sensible cost. Reaching a chandler also avoids dealing with middlemen and other negotiators. This makes the ship chandlers a monetary factor.
4. One-Point source
This implies that every one of the prerequisites of the ships can be finished by a single chandler at a solitary spot. This dispenses with the utilization of others and furthermore guarantees great limits and sensible costs of the wares.
Types of ship chandler
There may be other categories as well, but these are the basic and the most important ones.
1. Safety stores deal with life rafts, lifejackets, and lifebuoys, breathing sets, survival craft accessories, navigational lights and shapes, fire extinguishers, gas detectors and spares,
fire and immersion suits, etc
2. Engine stores deal with adhesive and lubricants, explosion-proof hand lamps, lube oils, and hydraulic fluids, bearings, rubber mattings, seals and v-belts, hot and cold-welding equipment,
cords, asbestos-free packing, and jointing, etc.
3. Some marine chemicals are boiler water treatment chemicals, air cooler cleaners, tank cleaning chemicals, oil spill dispersants, fuel oil treatment chemicals, etc.
4. Hardware and tools include measuring tools, bolts, and nuts, cutting tools, hand tools, welding equipment, etc.
5. Electrical stores deal with bulbs and lamps, navigation and searchlights, cables, switches, lead-acid batteries, alarm and horns, grinder, sockets, plugs, and boards, etc.
6. Deck stores consist of personnel protective equipment, charts, hoses, oil spill emergency equipment, high-pressure deck cleaning equipment, couplings, valves, flanges, publications, and signages, nautical and GMDSS, pipes, elbows, tees, ISP's stores, etc.
7. Cabin and provision stores deal with items like cloth and linen, cheese, fresh vegetables and fruits, frozen meats and fish, cereals, beverages and instant foods, brushes and mats, locks and latches, tableware and galley utensils, welfare items, detergents, and cleaning materials, etc.