The importance of material handling to operations and manufacturing plants cannot be over emphasized. In any organization, a considerable amount of material handling is done in one form or the other. This is to emphasize that material handling is very crucial because all the materials should be handled well in order to keep it safe, to reach its destination safely and to maintain their quality and condition. In other words, good materials handling is important.
Conceptualizing Material Handling
In simple terms, Materials handling refers to the process of moving, controlling, protecting as well as storing materials such as goods, items, etc. for manufacture, disposal, and distribution or even for consumption. Material handling can be defined in several ways but for the purpose of this article “Material handling is the movement and storage of material at the lowest possible cost through the use of proper method and equipment”.
Why Material Handling
- It helps eliminate or prevents accidents: In any organization where good materials handling is applied, accidents can be prevented and eliminated as this means proper and careful handling is performed.
- It reduces stress and effort: Stress and effort can be minimized, through good materials handling, If you are handling materials the right away and you are eliminating all the factors that would make material handling a risky and challenging such as a non-functional equipment, ineffective workers, etc., then materials handling would be a stress-free process.
- Efficient utilization of time on distribution, storage: If you are applying good materials handling, then you are definitely making storage, manufacture, distribution, or consumption of materials and goods less time-consuming. This is because good materials handling means applying solutions that can help make this process quick and easy.
- Eliminate redundant work: If there is good material handling, there is no need for you to utilize redundant workers that will only take time and cost extra expenses. When you apply good materials handling, you are also saving money since you are not jeopardizing the quality and condition of the products as well as you are no longer spending a lot to pay extra workers just to ensure that the materials or product are handled well.
From the above the following can be regarded as the core benefits of using material handling.
- Reduce manufacturing cycle time
- Reduce delays, and damage
- Promote safety and improve working conditions
- Maintain or improve product quality
- Promote productivity
- Promote increased use of facilities
- Reduce tare weight
- Control inventory
It is apparent that this little literary piece has revealed the need for good material handling in almost every organization. We at Safety Nigeria are committed to providing the best quality material handling products to meet our customers’ needs. Visit our material handling online catalogue and select from a large selection of material handling products. CLICK HERE NOW